Did you know that you can control many of your favorite audio and video media components with your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and other web browser capable wireless devices? Downloadable software applications from the web can transform your iPhone into a first-class wireless touch screen remote. I am happy to say that many multimedia device manufactures have generously provided the apps for free and only take a few seconds to set up.
Our staff’s top three favorite free media control apps compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad are:
1. Sonos Controller – for Sonos Systems
The Sonos Controller lets you do the following:
- Browse your entire music library
- Quickly search for your favorite artists
- View album cover art
- Stream music and radio stations from the web
- Select the room or zone to play the music
To download the Sonos Controller, visit the Sonos website.
2. i.TV – for TiVo and Roku Players
The i.TV app is primarily for TV and movie listings. The more exciting thing the i.TV app will do is act as a remote control for your TiVo HD DVR and HD Roku player.
To download i.TV, please visit Apple’s website.
3. Remote – for iTunes and Apple TVs
Remote by Apple allows you to control your iTunes library for music playback from anywhere in and around the home. A short list of the control benefits are as follows:
- Control the music on iTunes and Apple TV
- See the album artwork on your Remote
- Create and update Genius playlists
- Edit playlists in iTunes
- Search your whole iTunes library
- Control your AirTunes speakers
To download Remote, please visit Apple’s website.
As a result of these free apps, I have had a change of heart. I guess sometimes the best things in life really are free!
Tell us what your experience has been with these and other iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch media control apps.